Monday, March 29, 2010

First days in the Hospital...

So far, so good...

It's been four days since Crissie was admitted to Woman's Hospital in Baton Rouge for a shortened cervical length and suspicious uterine activity. We can honestly report that we're pretty pleased with the experience so far. Our nurses have been great. The doctors have been attentive. Hell, even the food has been pretty good (so I'm told). When I'm there, I feast mostly on Crissie's leftovers and snacks. When it comes to food, I'm kinda' like the family dog in the room.

Besides snacking, the other thing I like to do is play with all the medical equipment. I know I'm not supposed to, but I can't help it. I've been busted a couple of times using the pulse oximeter (apparently this activity can be observed from the nurse's station) and I've listened to my own heartbeat (among other things) with the pocket doppler more times than I can count. I've tinkered with other stuff, but in the event any of the nurses are reading this, I'll refrain from further self-incrimination...

We're having fun tracking the nurses' hours on our markboard in the room. Our hope is that whenever delivery time gets here, the nurses with the most hours can be there with us in the delivery room. If not, we'll find some other way to thank 'em. We can't say enough about how great they have been.

Crissie is off of IV fluids for the moment, which means she can hit the bathroom on her own. She was be-bopping along with less than 4 contractions-an-hour all weekend (roughly), until this morning when she had 8. The good news is that she's still not feeling them and she has been back to normal since. So, we're still feeling pretty good. The big milestone coming up is at 24 weeks. At that point, they can administer steroids to speed up the babies' lung development. No word yet on whether those steroids are going to keep Garrison out of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I scored a cot on Saturday night which was totally clutch. It's not home, and it's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it'll do for now. It was pretty cool that we had a steady stream of visitors over the weekend. There were very few dull moments which definitely makes the time go faster...


Just trying to keep it light. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations first of to creating such beautiful life! I know you will be in for quite the ride :)

    We are parents of triplets who live in Baton Rouge and also conceived our trio with the wonderful help of Dr. Lu :)

    We are extremely excited for you and are looking forward to following your journey in the weeks/months/years to come.

    Victor & Savvy Carney
    s_carney@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that Crissie is in the hospital for the long haul, but you are absolutely right...it is the best place for her! I would love to come by and visit, but I know how that Mag can be. Please shoot me an email and let me know if she is up for the visit.

    Kami
    kamishea@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete